Re: THIS IS FOR REAL. (Ejection proposal)

At 03:25 AM 6/3/2002, just john wrote:
>If this spam were his first-ever post, the listadmin would bump him off
>without a second thought,

no I wouldn't. Where did you get that idea? I might make some sarcastic or
humiliating remark, but Mark does an excellent job of that so I don't need
to bother anymore.

>and we'd have no complaints about that.  It's
>simple, and it's done every day in thousands of lists worldwide.

depends on the list.

>Does anybody disagree with that assessment of the situation?

Oh! oh! Me! I do!

>So the punishment for spamming a list, especially with this sort of spam,
>is ejection, pure and simple.

No it isn't. Such policies are determined by the owner of the list, who in
this case is me. Please don't assume to know my policies if you are not
even going to bother to ask. You've even been on the list for a while, so
think you would know better.

I've never made any such rule. I've also never had to kick anybody off
this
list, in the entire 5.5 year history of it. In fact, I refuse to do that.
Do you know why this works? It's not dumb luck. I've always insisted that
the community is in charge of itself, and that I won't be the dictator.
Everybody holds equal responsibility for the character of the list, not
one
person. If somebody does something "wrong", the others can point that out
and help that person to be "right". If somebody "misbehaves", the others
must convince that person to change behavior. This community approach
works. It's your community, and it's up to all of you *and* each one of
you
whether the community is good or bad. So far, you all seem to have done a
pretty good job.

>Examples of slack in this case:   Unlike my normal procedures that I
>follow
>with the dozens of pieces of normal spam I get every day, I did NOT report
>this to his ISP and their upstream provider.  I also did NOT report it to
>the various FTC and other entities that collect examples of chain mail
>fraud.

Do you seriously think the FTC or anybody working at an ISP is going to
care if some idiot forwards a chain letter? Your world sounds really
fascinating, I would like to visit some time.

>I gave him that amount of slack, even though HE DELIBERATELY LIED TO ALL
>OF
>US twice already within his Subject: header.

you're almost as funny as Mark, except Mark was trying to be funny.

>In the interest of slack, he won't be bumped from his ISP from any action
>by me, even though that's undoubtedly their policy in such situations.
>And
>I imagine he won't be bumped from this list.

that's correct.

>But we SHOULD rub his nose in it.

and your's as well.

kim