Re: what a loop has to say

> Well Kris, that very much depends on where you draw the line of
> musicianship, and what you consider music.

Absolutely. It's not so cut and dried, but very fuzzy...which is why this
thread will likely go on for a long time.

If it takes ages to set up a
> randomization patch, do the scripting for the post-recording sequencing,
> and handling the massive amounts of data that is sometimes required
>(like
> in a max/msp patch) is that then still not part of the musical process?

I call that craft, not art or musicianship. It's just my strong opinion on
the subject. It is a part of the musical process, I agree, but not what I
consider the driving force behind musical art. That transcents gear in my
opinion. I defer to Rick's comments on musicians from other cultures.
Whatever they have inside of them that sparks the miricle of creativity,
we
have too have inside, but you don't find it in 1's and 0s inside of a chip
or processor. That's after the fact, or before the fact if you are using
it
to prepare for performance.

> I believe mr. LaFosse and others would make great use of that one note,
> and even though it's just technological tom-foolery it is still highly
> musical, and beyond the reach of your average 10-month old.

Sure, my kids can't program a unit to complete transform one basic note
into
an entire song, but someone else can for them. Again, what is the musician
taking credit for? The note? The processor and engineering that transforms
the note?  What do we mean by saying "making use of that one note?"  Who
is
making use if it?  These are more rhetorical questions, of course, subject
to wildly varying, subjective, and contradictory responses!

> Most of my looping these days is based on a more-or-less random audio
> input, that does not make it less musical, at least to my ears.
> Andreas

That's cool. I do that on occasion, using the SunRa VST plugin...I don't
take credit for the output or consider it a facet of my artistic
creativity.
It's just fun to play with.

Kris