RE: Re: Gyorgy Ligeti choir sounds

Title: RE: Re: Gyorgy Ligeti choir sounds

>>the link to your Ligeti-choir sounds doesn't work for me - too bad.  Since I am a big fan of his work and these kinds of soundsheets in particular I was really eager to listen to that. I have tried to copy that with guita&loop before with mixed result using slide, ebow, pitch bends etc. It's hard to get that really haunting type of feel though. Any recommendations?<<

I have an alesis s4+ synth module which came with an "instant ligeti" patch called, surprise surprise, "monolith". it comprises of layered choir sounds towards the dark end of the vocalists' registers, & the layers have been set up to pitch-bend away from each other very slowly & gracefully. it thus evokes terror, being quite literally the sound of humans going off in different directions whilst vocalising their tension/apprehension.

of course, we've used this noise very sparingly indeed, as it is instantly recognisable as having been inspired by that space movie with the big black thing in it. as I recall, the composer david bedford was fond of this kind of thing too.

I should think (& I really ought to try this out) that a version of this patch with mellotron choir as the basis would be truly scary.

I did something similar with the mellotron strings (the one that's multiple violins but hardly any cello) & a sampler, to evoke a storm-tossed sailing ship encountering edgar allan poe's "maelstrom" for our album of the same name. you know that feeling you get after too many drinks/spliffs/whatevers, when the room starts to spin? the seasick mellotron can bring this feeling on by itself.

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe