Women who loop

Pauline Oliveros has been around musically since the 60's. She teaches at
Mills College, and a lot of people credit her with being the inventor of
looped music.

There's also Cosey Fanni Tutti, the former guitarist of the band Throbbing
Gristle.

Margaret Feidler is in the electronic group Laika. I'm pretty sure that
she
does a large part of the instrumentation in addition to the vocals. The
first 2 albums by this group are really nice. They create really nice
multilayered rhythms.

And there's Alejandra Salinas from the married experimental duo Alejandra
&
Underwood. Usually her role is of coming up with cd ideas and gathering
source material for Aeron Bergman (Underwood) to loop and alter sonically,
but I think she takes part in the sound processing in their live shows.

There's also Jane Dowe, who's a sampling musician. I only know her from
the
"Deconstructing Beck" CD, but I think she has solo releases out too.

I'm sure there are more. There are lots in the techno and rap worlds. I
don't know of any female dj's who actually create music, but I'm sure
they're out there. As for rap, I know that Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott
takes
pride in doing her own production. Lots of others too, but I don't know
the
names. The last time I heard an Ani Difranco album, she created her own
loops in 2 of the songs. I think that album was "Dilate".

I know not many of these women loop solo live (well, Pauline does
occasionally, I think), but there are women who loop. It's pretty amazing
how few though.

>From: Rick Walker <GLOBAL@cruzio.com>
>To: Loopers Delight <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
>Subject: Women in live looping and Producing Live Solo Looping Shows
>Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:42:17 -0800
>

>     Will everybody who knows a woman looper be into posting info about
>them or convincing them to post to the group, assuming that there are
>any.    I've noticed that the electronica world is more of a boys club
>than even the sexist pop musical world.
>It would be very cool if this could change.

Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com