Re: OT: Re: Starscapes/Real audio rant

> Uh, why not just mp3?  MPEG is a mature and robust format.  MPEG4 is
>quite
> amazing IMO.  The beauty of the Quicktime format is that it encompasses
most of
> the major codecs, including MPEG4.  Windows Media is actually pretty good
too,
> and you can get them to play on most macs, though not quite as well.

The reason is streaming, pure and simple.  Despite what one might think
about people being used to mp3 as a format I think most computer users
blanch at the idea of [1] having to download a song before you listen to
it,
and [2] the file size is prohibitively large.  I think mp3, as great as it
is, also still has its problems beyond this, but most of the disinformation
about Napster/etc (courtesy of the RIAA/Big Five) would have us think that
EVERYONE downloads, plays and shares mp3 files.  I'm not even sure that
it's
a 40% penetration yet.  QuickTime, alas, has its own predatory processing
going on too, though not as bad as Real/AOL, and their download/update
process has until recently been flawed at best.

Whatever the case is, I refuse to be a pawn in some company's attempt to
gain market dominance, like I was for Real.  Apple's no more a "kinder
gentler" company than anyone else, in any event.

S.P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*
http://www.earthlight.net/Gallery - Cartoons and Illustrations!
http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack - Cartoons via Medialine!

> Clifford Novey wrote:
>
> > I agree- Real One is Satan's spawn- you have to be really determined
>and
> > patient to root out all the pop ups, auto notify, computer scanning,
ultra
> > infiltrating crap they include with it. And I too think it sounds
>crummy
in
> > the end anyways but i was 'forced' to install it yesterday as so many
folks
> > use it.
> >   I prefer .wma format over all others 9yes I know it is MS product)-
sounds
> > the best and I can use WinAmp to play them. Too bad it doesent play on
the
> > Mac platform as it is supposed to. It is also interesting to note that
> > WinAmp was bought out by AOL. Isn't AOL linked to Real? They prob own
them.

> > Cliff
> >
> > > Why should
> > > they care?
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, lots of sites use the format, thanks to Real's ascent
>-
on