Re: Live Performance Hardware Looping Equipment Question - Need Help

Michael-

    With my current setup I'm using computers to do this, but trying to
distribute the activities to minimize the chance of crashes.  That is, I'm
using one computer for sample playback, and another for sequencing.  So,
all
the sequencer (laptop) does is dump MIDI sequencer data and MIDI clock out
its USB MIDI interface.  All the sampler (desktop in a rackmount chassis)
does is run NI Kontakt and listen for instructions.  Seems to work...  But
don't know about the stability of Cubase on your particular hardware setup.
I've also done all the tweaks and optimizations at http://www.musicxp.net,
which seem to have made things run smoother.

    Definitely get a power conditioner, and possibly a UPS if you're going
to take your PC(s) out on gigs though.  When the fuse blows because they
run
the whole stage off one outlet and 15amp breaker, you'll be glad you've got
those 30 seconds to turn your shit off the right way.  Heaven forbid you
take a Linux box and it forces you to fsck the whole 80GB filesystem while
the audience waits.  Get your jokes ready...

-Jesse