Re: reducing "time to setup"--

Hi Daniel,
I don't use mobius at this point, though I am curious, but your
suggestion reminds me of something.
I've played a little with the idea of creating a short musical loop
which works well under my entire chord progression. So, for example,
if you arpegiate an a chord adding a D in the arpegio, you can play a
progression of A f#m D and E over the arpegio and it all sounds good.
So the idea is to figure out what set of notes will sound good under a
longer progression. It's similar to the idea of a drone which can also
work nicely if you use a 1/5 drone and then play chords around this
interval sometimes turning the 1/5 in to a 1/4 relationship.
I am not at all a music theoritician, but these practical issues
interest me. :-)

Rusty

On 12/6/13, Daniel Thomas <danielthomas4@mac.com> wrote:
> Another approach to speeding ramp time on a live loop performance—
>
> --utilize a Shuffle script to reorder the bars of your initial loop in
> order
> to create a B section or a C section.  If you are clever about relative
> major/minor relationships, you can get at most diatonic chord professions
> this way.
>
> There is a useful Mobius script in the Circular Labs forum that will cut
> the
> loop into a specified number of bars (Slices) and then reorder the slices
> according to a sequence of bar numbers.  If you decide to go the Mobius
> route, reach out to me offline and I will share several relevant scripts
> with you.
>
> Daniel
>

> On Dec 6, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Rusty Perez <rustys.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks folks for all of your input ... and output. :-)
>>
>> Amy, I'm with you on this idea that the building is also interesting
>> and entertaining for the audience, and so long as it is intentional
>> and musical, it's cool.
>>
>> I'm a bit averse to using previously recorded material, in large part
>> because I'm a bit forgetful and adhd and, well, i might not like it
>> again the 10th time around and I might want to change the tempo or
>> repetitions. :-) The only time I've used a prerecorded loop was at a
>> wedding one time when they wanted a particular song played during the
>> processional, and I had to play melody, and didn't want to loop the
>> backing there on the spot. It worked.
>> That having been said, I like this idea of having only certain
>> elements, snippets of things which may then be prerecorded and looped,
>> or brought in and out. So the performance becomes the spontaneous
>> arrangement.
>>
>> I'll definitely have to look in to a looper with the multiply
>> functions. I need a new looper anyway. I think I've outgrown my RC20.
>> 8)
>>
>> At this point, about the only options I have with that are
>> overdubbing, or starting a song cold, singing and playing, and then
>> recording and looping a section of guitar as I'm playing. So that
>> another guitar just magically appears in the mix. That's pretty fun.
>>
>> I'm enjoying this thread!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Rusty

>>> while I disagree with the above.......

>>> .....that's  spot on.
>>> ( worth applying to non-looped music too! )
>>>
>>> Plus learn to go directly into overdub without waiting for the layers
>>> "go