Re: Rypdal?

     Chris Chovit said:

     I noticed that a couple listed Terje Rypdal as an influence.  I
     haven't heard (him?).  Can someone please fill me in?

  Terje is a musician from Norway. His main instrument is guitar, although
  his albums of the last 25+ years credit him with flute, keyboards, and
  soprano sax.

  In a way he has taken the sound of Hendrix and applied it to the
European
  strand of jazz which includes Jan Garbarek, with whom he played in the
late
  60's/early 70's, and helped define what's become known as `The ECM
Sound'
  (although thats only a part of what he does).

  His output is varied, from almost atonal/angular/shards-of-sound to lush
and
  romantic. My favourite, and why I included him, is `After the Rain',
which the
  review in UK's Melody Maker depicted as `the thinking man's Tubular
Bells' -
  mainly cos TR played all the instruments, and possibly not the greatest
  recommendations in some eyes/ears but 20 years on I still find much to
enjoy
  from the tracks.

  I wouldn't recommend everything he's done - as noted, his output is
  diverse(sp?), but I've also liked his last 3-4 group albums.

  Hope this helps - his discography, and a more literate analysis is on
the
  ECM pages: http://www.ecmrecords.com/ecm/artists/8.html

  David

  david.orton@bl.uk