Re: Looping vs delay effects

At 6:22 AM 12/16/96, T.W. Hartnett wrote:
>I'm surprised at the number of people who want to control their Echoplex
>via a MIDI foot controller.  I prefer to have one foot controller for
>governing my sound options, and one for the loop.  I want to be be able
>to change sounds and control the loop without worrying about what bank
>I'm in.  Having two controllers allows me to potentially have access to
>all my presets, without having to reprogram my controller.  I haven't
>seen a midi controller that was flexible enough to handle all this, since
>you can't have multiple switches "active" (pressing a button delivers a
>preset, you can't have two switches "down" at the same time).  A hundred
>dollars is a hundred dollars, but I think that if you've got an
>Echoplex/Jamman and a rackmount preamp (or two) and a stereo setup,
>you're already in for a pile of green.  If someone knows of a robust (no
>skimpy MIDI/external AC adaptor connectors) and flexible (multiple
>switches on concurrently, namable patches, etc) for under $500, please
>let me know.
>
>Travis Hartnett

One nice thing about the Echoplex pedal is the general ruggedness and
simplicity of it. There's really not much that can go wrong, and if
anything did you could easily fix it yourself. It's passive and doesn't
require any power, so there are no wall warts to be broken or lost, and no
batteries to go dead. You connect it to the rack unit with an ordinary
patch cord, same as you would use for a guitar or whatever. So there is no
special cable that can only be replaced from a single source at an
outrageous price.

We made the rack unit smarter so that the pedal could be simple and dumb.
And therefore less likely to break. The electronics in the pedal are simple
enough that anyone with a negligible amount of electronics knowledge could
figure it out and repair it if they needed to. In fact, its simple enough
that you could make your own pedal (or other sort of controller) if you
want to. I'll try to put information on how to do that on the web page, as
part of some kind of pedal tutorial.

Also, the pedal is labeled nicely, so you can easily tell which switch you
want.

The only part about the pedal that tends to be a bit too flimsy are the
switches themselves. People that like to stomp on their pedals with heavy
boots tend to break them. If you fit that category, you might want to
replace the switches with heavy duty, industrial type switches. Those cost
about $3-5 each, which is why they are not in the mass produced version.

kim