RE: On being complete nerds

OK Kim, ya got me out of the closet with that one.
Another looping lurker unveils.

Been listening to:

Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy
Ten piece brass ensemble, cutting-edge jazz.  Saw a performance a few
months
ago in Santa Cruz -- these guys will turn you inside out.  Every player is
monster (killin french horn and bone, but the tuba dude just knocked my
sox
off. )  Lester (trumpet) has been a long time--all time top five fave of
mine;
 I highly recommend his solo albums, plus Art Ensemble of Chicago in
addition
to Brass Fantasy recordings.  He's also on:

Jack DeJohnette  "New Directions"
Besides Lester, there's John Abercrombie (guitar), and Eddie Gomez (bass).
 These are all DeJohnette compositions.  This is one of my all time jazz
top
10's.

Ry Cooder  "Jazz"
Jeez, I love Cooder.  On this album, he plays old-time New Orleans jazz
favorites with some superb cats who've practically defined their
respective
genres.

Gary Peacock and Bill Frisell   "Just so happens"
Check out 'Home On The Range' 1 and 2.  I've had the great privilege of
doing a
few lessons with Gary, years back.  His sensitive, expressive playing is a
real
reflection of the extraordinary, generous man that he is.  And then
there's
Bill...

Nawang Khechog  "Rhythms of Peace"
First heard this in a little Tibetan import shop.  Tibetan bamboo flute,
didgeridoo, gongs, bells, drums.  Exquisite, spacious music.  I think he'd
dig
a looper.

Sadhappy  "good day bad dream"
Michael Manring, plus bassist Paul Hinklin (yeah, two basses) and drummer
Evan
Schiller from Seattle.  Beefy, inspiring bass playing, rockin, solid
stuff.  I
listen to this often.

(Michael's the one who really got me inspired about doing my own digital
looping.  Saw him with his Jamhunks, first time I'd heard those devices
used.
 Looked for them on the web, landed at the Looper's site, pestered Kim for
awhile, and here I am.)

Israel Lopez Cachao  "Latin Jazz Descarga", parts 1 and 2.
If you listen to any Latin at all, listen to this.  These guys roast.

Guillermo Rios  "Soul of Spain"
Passionate, evocative Flamenco guitar.  Superb chops make his sound fluid,
eloquent, intense.  The live performance I attended was deeply moving.
This CD
is aptly titled.  He lives and plays in the LA area.

And right now I'm listening to bassoonist / reed man Paul Hanson - "Astro
Boy
Blues".   He's phenomenal.  Also appears with Paul Dresher.  (You reading,
Paul
D?  Heard you for the first time Saturday at Santa Cruz.  It was
outstanding!
 Great compositions, compelling performance.)

Since I'm new to the list, I'd like to say, mondo thanks -- especially to
Kim,
Matthias, and the many others who continue to inform and sustain this
extraordinary and entertaining resource!

You all have collectively inspired me to search for (and find!) STRANGE
TOYS.
 Yeah!  (And that's all I'm gonna say about gear for now, kim. %^)  Lately
I've
been walking around with a possessed, wild look in my eyes.  Compositional
inspiration?  I confess I'm still at the stage where punching a button and
playing a few layers is a complete revelation.  Voila.  In my naivete I'm
easily entertained.

Laurie