Re: replacing parts of loops

>This method seems really interesting (i.e. replacing parts with silence
>and
>making ad hoc rhythms).  I have a Jamman and haven't used replace much.  I
>sometimes add really random things in or play over the loop and hit
>replace
>at random, but that only goes so far.  I should steal [cough], I mean try,
>your method.
>
>-Jesse

I do this a lot. Often I will lay down a longish droney texture in punch-in
loop mode, and then use replace to "drop in" silence and other parts. I
find that there's a minimum time that I can hit and release the pedal
twice, about a second, which defines the finest granularity of the rhythms.
I gather that with the Echoplex, you can assign the pedal to only record
while the pedal is depressed, which could decrease the minimum punching
time quite a bit.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra