Re: Battery Powered suggestions [busking loops]

There's a product called the "Far Outlet" (ha ha) from Galaxy Audio
that will provide portable AC power. However I made something similar
and cheaper with a gel-cell battery pack designed for emergency car
starting, and a 12VDC-120VAC inverter. It was enough to power an
Eventide H3000, DAT recorder, Mackie mixer and a Cambridge Soundworks
Model 11 "suitcase" amp/speaker setup.

The first time I used this rig for looping, in a concrete bunker in
the Marin Headlands, was a lot of fun-- my pal Patti sang down in the
tunnels, into a close mic feeding the Eventide 10 sec loop which
played back into speakers even farther down in the chamber, for a
nice combination of electronic and acoustic regeneration. Then we
recorded the whole mess to DAT with a separate stereo mic.

The best part was when a park ranger came along and cited us for
"recording music without a permit on federal land". Of course I had
left the system going when he approached us so there are snippets of
"may I see your driver's license" and "who owns this equipment" in
the recording :-).

I took the citation to court where the clerk laughingly dismissed it,
but only after taking quite some time to determine that there was in
fact such a law on the books. At first he thought the park ranger had
just made it up.

I guess this was more of a bust than a busk, but anyway I felt it was
a story worth repeating, so to speak.

-Alex S.