OT: jaw harps, jews harps....................

<Bret wrote:
please describe the hungarian jaw harp.  Is this metal like the
traditional 'jews harps' of the usa, or made of other materials?  I
bought some asian 'jews harp' devices made from bamboo that have a
lovely sound.  I find them much easier to play than the novelty shop
metal jews harps.  Their tone is softer, obviously less metallic>

Rick replies:     At Dror Sinai's amazing, state of the art world
percussion/instrument store,  RHYTHM FUSION, in Santa Cruz
(where I'm blessed to live)  there is a very large collection of incredible
eastern european jaw harps (also known as jews harps, but methinks that
this term is an 'Ellis Island-esque' misnomer and I try to avoid it).
There are a great deal of them,  most of them in concert tunings.
They are fine, fine instruments compared to the jaw harps that you can
by at a typical ma and pop music store.   I highly recommend them.
If you ever want to buy one via the mail, I would be more than happy
to make a special trip and pick one out for you (unless you can make it
there in person, which I highly recommend)

As a description,  I own two jaw harps (and a whole slew of
Balinese, Phillipino and Javanese bamboo ones as well) that are pitched
an octave apart in D.    One is very small (3") and the other one is
approximately twice as large (5-6").   They make some 'bass' harps too
that I just haven't gotten the cash together to purchase.
They are pricey!!!!!   Approximately  $30-$50 each, but once you play one
you'll never go back.    They are, obviously, more metallic sounding than
the bamboo harps and sound very 'electronic' consequently.

BTW,  are you also hip to two similar sounding instruments:
the Phillipino 'Buzz Stick' made out of slit bamboo (Rhythm Fusion usually
has those in stock, too) and just playing your palm over a two foot piece
of
3" or 4"  PVC or ABS plastic pipe......................all those buzzing
overtones
that make the dijeridu so popular these days!!!