Re: San Francisco gig blurt

>From: "Rick Walker \(loop.pool\)" <GLOBAL@cruzio.com>

>I think that the San Francisco loopers have gone the way most artists have
>gone in San Francisco:   the dot.com rent insanity is currently destorying
>the better part of the creative spaces to play in the city.  .....>We are
>trying to find a spot to bring the World's First Bass Looping Tour*
>to San Francisco and we are having a hell of a time finding a place to do
>it

I can only think of a few clubs in SF that would actually be happy to do
something like this. The city went from having about 15 places to hear
experimental music to about 5. Here are the ones I can think of that have
experimental shows at least occasionally:

1) CELLspace (21st & Bryant) - a warehouse multiarts collective space
2) The Lab (16th & Cap) - an art gallery/avant garde performance space
3) Kimo's (Polk & Pine) - has a weekly experimental/free jazz night on
wednesdays, and an industrial/noise/goth/experimental night on thursdays.
Hey, today's a wednesday! Wow, people in San Francisco could check it out
today! How about that!
4) The Luggage Store (6th & Market) - home of "Creative Music Thursdays"
5) Hot Rodney's/The Clit Stop (south of Market) - I thought this was
closed
down last year, but somebody tells me that they're still running.

?) 111 Minna - Several places tell me that they're into the new and avant
garde, but in the past 4 years, they've been transitioning to only doing
techno and drum 'n bass.

The closure of the clubs is partly because they're being out-rented in
their
spaces, and partly because people will often move in upstairs or next
door,
then will complain about the noise. This is what happened to the entire
south-of-market area. Kimo's came this close (holding fingers REALLY close
together) to being shut down by the same thing, but they invested $10,000
in
getting some soundproofing done. The best way to help keep the local clubs
in business is to BUY A DRINK while you're there seeing shows. That's
where
the clubs get their income to stay functional in this highly competitive
real estate market.

>I know that
>really creative people like Matt Davignon are up there.

Gosh! (shuffles feet)

I won't be a San Francisco looper for long though. After this saturday
I'll
be an Oakland one.

Matt