looping with a Vocoder

 Yeah,a real fine topic for LD !

I use since five years an analog Vocoder/Filterbank as an extraordinary
effectdevice in my Setup.
Most people think about a Vocoder,that it is a tool to make Robotvoices
based on a Saw-wave.
To difference my usage from this public prejudice,I call this device just
VCA controlled Filterbank.
It is very flexible to use for filtering or selected Filterband
distortion(if it is analog).
It can realize Pseudophasing effects,Filtersweeps,Singlebanddistortion and
so much more.
And at least you can use it as an pseudo EQ,based on the Formants of the
humans voice.As the Filters
are working very sharp,it has a different quality to "normal" EQs.
Use a Sinewave pitchshifting over a a space about +/- 4 octaves(a Casio VZ1
offers such a strong
modulation for example).Then you can hear how a really narrow bandwith of
overtones will be faded in
and out.Really a fine Filtersweep simulation.
Mostly I use the Vocoder not for extreme effects.

For my Livesetup I use an analog MAMVF11.Not the Ultima Ratio,but works OK
and can be adjusted fast
in a Live situation.In STudio I use a Software 22Band Vocoder wich is
softwarebased.
Both solutions are OK,but will not make me say that they are great.
For the future I hope,that there will be a Vocoder/Filterbank,wich can be
adjusted easily like my
analog one,but has a fine soundquality(without the analog noise) and a
wider
spreaded Filterband.
Maybe 48 Bands.

Nevertheless,the Vocoder/Filterbank is a very important part of my Setup !
And like Rick I never
used the "ROBOT"-function of this device.Hmmmmmmmm...? Maybe only to amuse
my little son and
nephews on a birthday party. :-)

A Vocoder/Filterbank is a great tool to shape a sound.So I only recommend
it
!

Marty