RE: Octophonic sound system

At 9:44 PM +0200 6/28/01, Junkie G wrote:

>       Does anybody thinking of a connection
>       between the 3D audio and looping ?
>
>       Anybody has had any experience with such
>       a set up ?

A lot of early works using tape delay systems also used multiple amps
and speakers. Pauline Oliveros on others at the San Francisco Tape
Music Center in the 1960s did a lot of pieces that way. It made
particular sense for those low-buged guerrila electronic days when it
was probably more common to have tape decks with built-in speakers
than professional PA systems with decent mixers.

We used to do performances in the mid-70s with surround quad and
dual-deck 4-track tape delays. Playback from the first deck would go
into the front speakers and playback from the second deck would go to
the rears, so we had both short and long delays.

I did a lot of performances in the '80s using surround quad and
multiple digital effects. The most fun was the Diamanda Galas gigs,
where she used four microphones, each routed to a different speaker
and to a different effect, and I would play freely with the routing
of the effects outputs. I'd even route one effect to another,
sometimes building up complex feedback networks on the fly.

I did one theater piece with a multichannel system loaned by Yamaha.
I had three DMP7 automated mixers, a TC2290, and an H3000, with
multiple microphones hanging throughout the space (a huge warehouse
that was part of the Santa Monica Museum) and (as I recall) an 8
channel speaker system. The mics picked up the actors voices and I'd
loop and otherwise mangle them and circulate the results throughout
the space.

I did some similar things in San Francisco on a couple of big
productions with a group called New Music Theatre. It was a similar
setup (also with Yamaha support - thanks, Joel!) and also involved
actors and singers.

I haven't done much of this recently, but I've just acquired eight
small speakers to do surround in my studio and this will probably
lead to more live multichannel work.

An advantage to using multichannel sound systems with looping is that
different sound layers can be articulated spatially,thus avoiding
muddy textures. If you set up a system which keeps the dry signal and
processed or looped signals unmixed you can place each "voice" where
you want it. This can be done with relatively modest equipment, since
having more speakers allows you to keep the individual levels down.
You can get by with smaller (and cheaper) individual components.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com