(Fwd) Experimental Composing for Dance?

Hello, a friend of mine asked me to forward this to the list. Please send
any responses to m_bronwyn@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Matt

----------------------------------

My name is Bronwyn Neal, and I'm writing a story for
In Dance, a publication put out by Dancers' Group in
S.F. I'm interested in hearing from anyone out there
who has composed music/sound for dance performances.

- What tools do you use? (Instruments, hardware, and
software.)

- Do you use a lot of MIDI-enabled devices? Any
favorite toys?

- How has the increased affordability of high-quality
audio equipment (often digital) over the past 10 years
or so affected your musical path?

- Can you talk about some of the experiences you've
had composing for dancers? And can you frame your
response in terms of how the tools you use play into
that? For example, do you ever bring your toys into
the dance studio to compose or "pre-compose," perhaps
by improvising, in the presence of the dancers? Have
you ever been asked to create a dance score in X time
signature with Y number of bars?

- How have new technologies made it easier or harder
to work with choreographers? (Or, as they say, "just
different.")

- Do you have any thoughts on where dance-performance
music/sound is headed? & how new technologies are tied
into that?

Thanks for your time!