Re: Need suggestions for sampling/storing loops

My sincere thanks to all for the input thus far.

Kim is right:  I had thought about the CD player solution, but that
would involve using my hands too much.  What I like about the Line 6
and Boss loopers is that both hands can stay on the fretless bass and
the feet operate the looper. Furthermore, it seems intuitively that a
CD player would be harder to quickly change the number of times the
loops would be played (I guess "last-minute arranging" is a good term
for that?).  A sequencer would, I believe, solve that sort of thing.

 From the hype, these Yamaha/Korg/Boss "groove boxes" are designed to
loop samples.  This seems to be what I desire most.  My big concern
is memory, followed by editing capabilities (how to "massage" each
loop to be stored so that it sounds like the original loop produced
in the Line 6 or Boss loopers.)

But from what y'all are saying, it sounds like I need to find out
more about the Repeater, because if I'm understanding it correctly,
it seems to be a looper with a big-ass memory (with the 128 meg
storage card), providing the capability to create loops on that unit
in the first place, then store and recall the loops for later use. If
what Kim says is correct about the half-second pause, however, the
Repeater would be less appealing.  From the "Tools of the Trade"
section of the LD home site, there seem to be pros and cons that I
need to better understand.  Thus, more homework is in order.

This leaves me with one question. . . .I really am not very
elctronic/computer savvy:  Is 128 megs on one machine the same thing
as 128 megs on another, in terms of length of storage time at a given
sampling rate?  For example, the Boss SP505 can take a 128 meg card.
Would that hold roughly the same length of sampling/looping time as
the Repeater with 128 meg card?

Thanks again.

Michael

--

Michael S. Yoder, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geography and Urban Studies
Texas A&M International University
Department of Social Sciences
5201 University Blvd.
Laredo, TX  78041