Re: Looping is overrated :)

> Ok, I've got to pipe up here.  I view a looper as a tool for making
>music.
> I also view a guitar as a tool for making music.  I also view a set of
>tabla
> drums as a tool for making music.  Now if I want to learn to play the
>tabla,
> I mean really learn to play the tabla;  would you tell me that its
>useless
> to move to India?  That I can learn everything I need to know to make
>music
> by staying right where I am and playing tabla at clubs along with guitar
> players, and conga drummers????

Nope, I'd say go for it if that's what you wanted to do. But I think
learning from classical masters in a centuries old world culture is *very*
different than going to SF or Charlotte or Charleston for "looping". Then
again, maybe not, you make a good point certainly.

> people who have more experience - can really shape a person's outlook.
>This
> is why I have really valued the two looping festivals, and un-countable
> private loop jams that I have had the pleasure taking part in.

No arguement here. I perfectly agree that you can learn and enjoy and of
course each person gets different things. I don't ewant to discourage
loopfests or the like, I just wanted to state that IMO they should be in
*addition* to other stuff not as a substitute or be all end all. Tehn
again, that *is* my opinion and I have no porblem with anyone doing what
they enjoy with music. Hell, I hope to loop with a bunch of you again some
time too :)