RE: prerecorded loops

> Most of the time I'm turned off by prerecorded loops. A lot of
> performances
> have lost points with me because the musicians put on a cd of the musical
> background and simply soloed over it. The same goes for
> pre-programmed drum
> machines. To me it's a turnoff. Part of the challenge behind
> making a live
> solo (or small group) performance work is to find ways to do
> everything you
> need onstage, which includes cutting some elements that might not be
> necessary.

i also, couldn't agree more.

which is exactly why i use prerecorded loops.  (ok, there are some other
reasons too)

i come from a completely instrumental jazz background, and until i was
bitten by the dance music bug i only played live, in groups.

but once i saw this whole other world, i realized that improvisation could
be applied there too, without compromising the essence or style of the
music.

the problem with prerecorded loops isn't the concept, but how they've been
used.  there's a complete stigma to them... and it's mostly justified.
people are fabulously uncreative with loops and drum machines.  but that
does not mean you have to be.  and that's where it's fascinating... to me.

the one thing that i really miss is having other musicians on stage to
create that live inter-musician dynamic that's so exciting.  but, as people
have pointed out on this list, multiple people on stage can be both
incredible and incredibly frustrating.  there's definitely trade offs.

paul