Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

Andre makes a good point about about why Hip Hop artists dont' gravitate
to this
list.  I think it is the name.  Perhaps if we had a better name like
"Loopers D" it
would help...

OK, now I'm getting silly.

Funny, I don't associate Hip Hop with loops, but more with a style of beat
and
tonality, similar to the way "Rock and Roll" was defined.  I for sure don't
associate Andre's music with Hip Hop at all.  Sorry dude, you do not have
the
clothes for it.

Word.

I do agree with Andre that we're not/ have not created or will ever create
a new
form of music with loopers, though new forms of music may be created by
us.  I mean
that the loopers is the tool, just like the electric guitar pickup helped
create
rock and roll.  How?  Well, guitars are good because they're nice and
portable and
can lend themselfs to both lead and rhythm styles.  They're also pretty
affordable
compared to a piano, but they're not going to be able to compeat with a
horn or
drums.  Enter the electric guitar/amp.  Now a new form (based on the old
form, of
course) of music can arise due to a tool that was previously unavailable.
Now a
blues guitarist can step into the lead melody role where before it was
much more
difficult.  People start calling this new loud guitar based music Rock and
Roll.
But is it the transducer that defines the music?  Not at all.  It helps
get you
there, but it's what's being played.  That transducer now finds it's way
into many
forms of music.  It's a tool.  The feeling and chord structure of the
music is what
defines it, not the tools used.  In this way "Ambient" music was maybe
facilitated
by audio looping devices, but they do not define it.

So Matthais, do you want to market "loop music" or your looping device?

I do dissagree with Andre though as to whether or not we should think
about what
defines us.  I think it helps talking about this.  Andre's a good example
of someone
who stretches the term "looper..." but is he looping?  Not all the time
for sure.
He's always recording though, and I think that's important.  We're all
recording
something in some way... could this be it?  Maybe we're not looping, but
as Kim
suggested a while ago, "Realtime editing."  Is this closer?  To what Andre
does for
sure, to what I do to a lesser degree, but.. well maybe not.  Playing a
phrase again
*is* editing I suppose.

Another marketing issue here is (now we're on my turf) is that "Realtime
Edit
Technique Music" sounds horrible.  "Looping" sounds much better, though is
less an
accurate term.  I suggested "De Ja Music" earlier, but I was joking.
Sucks.  I come
across this all the time.  We just designed a logo for Genentech, and a
compromise
was made and a logo that was more attractive was chosen over a logo that
better
communicated the concept.  I think Electrix's big problem was that they
didn't
target the DJ market enough, even though they made the Repeater very DJ
friendly.
I'm not a DJ, and that's not the point, but walk into a "Guitar Center"
any day and
you'll find a room almost as big as the guitar section devoted to DJ gear.
 Looping
*isn't* dance music, but it sure does facilitate it.  The artists will
figure out
what to do with the tools, it's just a matter of getting them into the
light.
Notice that everyone's a DJ these days.  Use that trend.  I think the
EDP's drawback
in this matter is that there's no desernable marketing at all for this
device.
Gibson needs to say, "HEY!  This is a great tool for making dance music!"
Korg and
Roland are great at this.  Do you have to make dance music with their
gear?  Not at
all, but it puts them out there.

Here's what needs to happen.  A-hem, excuse me while I mount this very
high horse.
Gibson should get a few musicians from different popular generas and have
them do
demo/clinics at EVERY store that sells EDPs.  Show people how the EDP is
perfect for
minipulating a turntable, synth, sax, guitar, whatever.  Make it a tour or
better
yet, use locals.  Do this a few times, and believe me, word of mouth will
do the
rest.

Mark Sottilaro