RE: vst loop plugin

great ideas, richard.  sounds like you've got a bit of a combination of
ableton's live and the little plug we're working on.

the biggest limitations designing (and using) applications intended for
live
use, in my experience, is in designing the input/control interaction with
the user.  i personally dislike using the mouse for live performance... it
just seems to slow/inefficient.  with a keyboard or midi inteface, one hand
can control many functions simultaneously and quickly.  the trick then is
come up with a small, but deep, enough set of controls and have them tied
an interface with enough visual feedback to make the abstract controls
meaningful and familiar.

and, of course, you want to design something that is practical enough to
implement.  so what controls do you keep?  which are the most fun to work
with live?

i'm hearing the following features:
- input monitors
- visual overview of samples
- loop marker creation
- loop marker manipulation (sliding, changing length)
- independent loop start/end point manipulation (almost the same as the
last)
- multiple loops (only doing one per instance right now)
- keyboard loop triggering w/optional quantized trigger
    (this is almost in there already, only via midi though)
- loop sequencing

any other ideas from you guys?

by the way, a lot of what you're talking about will be immediately
available
with the combined use of a v-stack/console like application and several
instances of the plug we're building spread out on multiple effects slots.
nothing is stopping you from having multiple instances of 'looper' going
simultaneously.

i'm really excited about these new vst effects shell apps.  good chance
that
they'll be extremely helpful to those of us who do live stuff via laptops.

paul