Sequencers: A lesson learned

A year or so ago, I lost my Chapman Stick player in a tragic
relationship accident.  Yes, she got a boyfriend and has not played her
instrument since.  <Sigh>

Anyway, it was about that time that I started to add some pre sequenced
bass lines to my show.  I figured it would better free me up to
concentrate on guitar and synth guitar.  A while later, upon seeing an
electronica band that didn't use any live looping, but instead played
over sequenced tracks.  I thought, "OK, I enjoyed them.  Why not sneak
some extra stuff in my sequences?  I mean, it's not like I'm playing
CDs...it will be just like I'm adding some more DJ style elements to my
show."

So I continued on this path for a while, though I started feeling worse
and worse about playing live, but not really making the connection.  Is
that a forest through those trees?  I'd never meant for it to turn into
me playing over a sequencer, but that's basically what it turned into.
Earlier tonight, I started up my gear and started noodling around over
my sequences, feeling uninspired even though I'd looked forward to
playing the whole last week while I was away.  At that moment, I decided
to get out of "song" mode and put my sequencer in "pattern" mode and
took out everything but the drums.  Then I took out the drums and just
started looping synth sounds with rhythmic components.  (taking clock
from the muted sequencer)  After a few loop iterations I added some
guitar as well.  I was having more fun than I think I've had playing
music in a year.  After a while I slowly started bringing in some
drums.  My wife said something to me from the other room, but I couldn't
hear her.  Later she told me that she had asked what CD I was playing!

So, how could I have gone so wrong?  In my quest for a perfect
performance, I attempted to put together something "DJ" like.  I felt I
had to present a product that was as polished as what DJs were doing
with pre-recorded music.  Of course, this is nearly impossible.  What I
didn't realize was that I had taken away pretty much everything that was
fun and inspiring about how I made music and probably what people liked
about the music I made. I'm not a DJ and I've never intended to be one.
What I get off most about looping is really taking almost nothing and
going from there.  Yet again, in an attempt to try to please an
audience, I forgot what I had set out to do. (I did this in a pop/rock
band in the early 90s and that led me to looping!)

So, anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'd better get some sleep.  Loop on
children,

Mark Sottilaro