Re: Orvilles to replace EDPs?

I have no idea who you talked to in 96, but the EDP was never that
cheap.  I remember looking into it around 93 and it was in the
neighborhood of $600.  Memory is a bit fuzzy, so I'm not sure about
this.

One thing I'm amazed at is that people still seemingly pay $600 for
used ones on ebay all the time.  This made sense when they were hard to
get, but now?  Weird.

Also, I see that the vintage "Blonde" models are selling for $600.  Add
another $100 for the new software and you've got a $700 looper.  The
EDP+ is selling for $800!  Does the "+" warrant an extra $100?  The EDP
does seem expensive to me, considering I bought my Repeaters for $525,
but tack on another $75 for more memory and it does put the Repeater in
the same range as the EDP.  You can't really compare the two, but if
you're looking for a stereo unit, the Repeater comes in a lot
cheaper... even at the currently inflated ebay prices.

I think Matthias once said, "the edp is basically a Macintosh SE30."
Am I remembering that correctly?  Is the EDP is an SE30 with extra DSP
circuits and audio hardware?  Regardless, it seems very odd to me to
work with this old architecture, when huge advances in computer
hardware have been made since it's original design.  This is an old
thread though.  I think the conclusion we made was that this all could
happen... if there was money in it.  Intel makes a P5 because they know
millions (billions?) will eventually be sold.  More than enough to
justify the R&D and come away with a profit.  The EDP is a VERY niche
market.  Notice the demise of the Repeater.  Cheap?  Sure.  Really cool
and useful?  AND HOW.  Couldn't sustain itself?  UH HUH!  If the
Repeater had been flying out the door, they probably would have
continued it's development, as would Gibson have continued it's
development of the EDP.  The truth of the matter is we loopers are a
fairly rare breed and the hardware we use is probably going to be
considered esoteric for quite some time unless someone figures out a
successful marketing scheme to pave the way for mass appeal of live
looping.  Here's the real kick in the ass: I believe that one of the
problems here is with US.  I think most of us love our little secret
looping devices and techniques and this tiny community we've built.  I
remember a thread about marketing looping to a broader audience that
was met with huge resistance by a lot of list members.  Pissed me the
hell off.  As if having a label would change what we were doing, people
refused to be described.

The price for this freedom?  $800  The fun you'll have looping:
Priceless.

Mark Sottilaro