Looper's Delight Archive Top (Search)
Looper's Delight Home
Mailing List Info

Dream Looping Mixer

> First, in a perfect world, what would you fantasy mixer be able to do?

the basic principle is that for looping using
one instrument, and many FX/loopers, you need
almost as many auxes as inputs

I haven't had time to really work on this question, but

here's some of what we like to do, as an example

1) Use 3 FX units, probably with stereo O/P on a couple
2) 2 or 3 looping devices, 2 of which can form a stereo pair
3) feed the O/P from stereo FX into the stereo pair of loopers
4) post process a looper with one of the FX

so it's more a routing thing than a mixing thing

don't really need EQ much

Need quite a few Aux sends!
how about 2 stereo and 2 mono

Returns 2 stereo 2 mono
...but these should be sendable to the other auxes.

Main Output (stereo) on
balanced jacks

other inputs/outputs on balanced jacks, but must work
well if unbalanced jack is used.

Could get away with just (stereo) line-in,
but otherwise a nice DI input for guitars,
and a mic input, both with EQ.
(...but no point unless these could be v.high quality)

Would all this fit in 1u ? perhaps without the fancy EQed inputs.

 <A
HREF="http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=RX1602&lang=eng">EURORACK
 PRO RX1602 :</A>

for an example of what this might look like.

To reduce the no. of pots, the Aux sends could be switchable.
i.e. One pot to send either to Stereo Aux 1 or 2.
One pot to send to either mono Aux 3 or 4.
the switches could be transparent push buttons with LEDs behind
a la behringer.

any stereo I/P or O/P should be switchable by the jacks being plugged
in so that they function as mono  when only one jack is used.

to sum up
3 stereo inputs
2 mono inputs
2 stereo aux sends
2 mono aux sends
main out

or something like that.
maybe
2 stereo ip
4 mono ip
1 stereo aux
4 mono aux
main out

oh ......and duplicate Main out on XLR

sound quality would be important, as the signal would
go though a lot of stages..

price?
for 150 I'd buy straight away
if it cost more, then  I'd want to know about the sound
quality. 300 would be an upper limit.

andy butler