Re: FAVORITE LOOPING TECHNIQUE

Ableton Live with 4 channels (usually) with my BPM Synced LiveLooping
VST-plugin (in development at the moment). Propellerheads Reason as
synth-source plugged into Ableton. And a Mic that i use to pick up ambience
and play with beerglasses, bootles, toy harmonicas or other audible things.

I set each plugin (each track that is) to a separate length, at the moment
totally random quantized lengths since i haven't incorporated a "set length
to X amount of 1/4,1/8,1/16", but that gives a nice randomness to the
layering of the music in the end.

Then i usually just strike a note on my keyboard at random to set the "key"
of the song and to get a feel of the tempo when the note bounces back, or i
use my Mic and send that into the plugin with some VSTeffect ontop so it
produces some kind of ambient sound that sets the mood.

Then i start improving ontop of that, sending Reason or the Mic to the
different channels and playing base,mid and high range on the leyboard into
different channels so i can easily for example fade out the bass and
replace
it with a new bass.

That's pretty much it. Oh, i do have a ReDrum in Reason that i program on
the fly and some other Drumloops that i've preproduced earlier, but i route
them through different delay/rearranging plugins also and have
remotecontroll over those to so i can do breaks, fills and variations.

It might sound like a pretty hefty setup but it's all software on my
portable 2.0ghz (i get 5ms inputlatency and 10ms ou with directx driversin
ableton) and it's controlled with my Edirol PCR-30 and i haven't had any
problems yet. The biggest test i've put the "rig" through was on Iceland
last august (without my own plugin that time but similar effectrouting in
Ableton with multiple delays) i played a 3 hour gig and it went splendid!

So i'm all for software. ;)

/Tias