OT: Multitrack recording question

I have a bunch of 4 track cassette tapes that I've been moving over to the
computer.  I've got a Delta1010 card and have been recording them using any
number of tools (Vegas, Nuendo, Sonar...) so I end up with 4 very large (45
min) mono wav files per tape.  The files contain multiple songs but also a
lot of dead space as well as things I don't want to keep.

My question has to with finding a convenient way to edit down the wav files
and separate the songs I want to keep into separate projects.  I haven't
been able to find a good way to do it yet.  I'd like to simply copy 4
tracks
simultaneously to 4 new tracks to be saved as 4 shorter wav files.

Those audio workstations I've used copy the tracks no problem, but they
don't actually modify (or even copy) the underlying wav files, so different
projects end up sharing the same base wavs.  This causes a lot of
headaches.
I'd rather work with each project having it's own shortened wav files and
delete the originals.  If I just use soundforge, I have to do 1 track at a
time and then it becomes a lot of work to keep them properly aligned.

I could make a copy of the 4 original tracks for each sub project and then
use something like Vegas' clean up process which it trims the parts of the
wavs that fall outside of the project's 'scope'.  But that would take a lot
of time and space.

Ideally I'd like to just breeze through with something like Sound Forge,
cutting and pasting 4 tracks at a time and save the results to different
directories.

Any tools excel at this kind of thing?    I've taken some time off from
working on this stuff.  I hope I'm not being dense and the answer's staring
me in the face.

Thanks
 -Bill