Nels Cline (of the Geraldine Fibbers)

Wow am I dreaming or did a conversation about Nels Cline start up on
the LD list?

      I'm glad to know that there are others on this list who know of
him and even happier to see that we are fans.  I think he is undeniably
amazing.  I was always a huge fan of the Geraldine Fibbers ever since
Carla Bozulich started the band, after leaving Ethyl Meatplow.  I
didn't get to see them live until after the album "Butch" came out with
Nels playing on it and touring with it.  Ever since then I have been a
fan.  He even gave me a copy of his solo album titled "Chest" and that
only furthered my love for his art.  Years latter I was helping run a
small all-ages club in central California called The Don.  We got Carla
Bozulich and The Nels Cline Singers to perform there one night.   The
Nels Cline Singers put on an incredible show and then Carla joined them
and they did a cover of the entire Willie Nelson album "The Red headed
Stranger".  It was a very special night.  We flyered for 50 miles in
every direction, posted on every related site we could think of, and
even got a couple of radio ads in.  And in the end they played for me
and my friends.  A total of maybe 12 people showed up.  But they had a
great time and we did too.
        The band that night was Nels with his Jaguar (given to him by Mike
Watt) and a floor full of pedals, ....oh, and a lapsteel.  Devin Hoff
on Double Bass, and Scott Amandola on Drums, with just as many pedals
as Nels had.  Lots of sound scapes make that night, definitely some
looping  going on.

---John M.