RE: laptop audio interface

>> In a related matter, I am considering buying one of those Echo Audio
>PCMCIA
>> cards, the Indigo, for use with my ancient HP laptop and
>Sonar.  They are
>> cheap http://www.zzounds.com/item--ECHINDIGOIO  Any opinions on this
>piece?
>
>I've been totally excited about the new Edirol FA101 firewire audio
>interface.  Its small, has 10in and 10out, two mic pre's w/
>phantom power
>midi in/out and best of all is powered via the firewire bus.  This seems
>like the perfect laptop audio interface.  Street price just under $500.
>Anyone have one? opinions?
>Jon

I bought an M-Audio FW410 before the Edirol FA101 was available. The
FA101 looks great. M-Audio has a new FW box, the FW1810 (or sumthin like
that) for about $500, that improves on the FW410 by having 4
simultaeneous analog inputs AND the two headphone jacks can be fed from
separate channels which is great (The FW410 sends the same signal to both
headphone outs).

The FW410 has great latency for such a cheap box (ca 9ms total in/out), I
bet the Edirol is similar.

-M