Re: Defining "pro"

I don't know about defining "professional" -- classically, a
"professional" is, after all, one who professes -- and I think this
debate might be pointless. Be that as it may (I could be wrong, after
all), I'd like to say two things about the use of the word. In one
case, it's a marketing tool to mark products for a certain audience,
"pros," and to market products for another audience, pro-wannabes.
Almost everything in a Musician's Friend catalog is "pro," the only
other possible label is "entry-level," and even those usually are
said to have "pro features at a remarkably reasonable price." So, for
the most part, in the marketing of equipment, "pro" is for suckers.

In the other case, "professional" is used to make a distinction
between folks. It is, apparently, different than "good" or "serious,"
and it comes out when "good" or "serious" doesn't exclude the right
people. But it isn't the simple "makes a living at" that Travis
offered; I think you have to look at when and how it comes up. It
seems to me it usually distinguishes "people whose opinion is valued"
from "people whose opinions aren't" in everyday use. It is used as a
way to discredit other points of view: "As a professional, I..." And
you get membership in the class by commercial success (i.e., industry
approval), so that people in the industry can use the category
"professional" to limit other than their "official" points of view. I
may be wrong about all that! But, what I'm really saying is what the
word officially means is quite beside the point. It is insulting
because of how it is used, and what it does. "Expert" would be a much
less loaded word, for example.

So says the "professional" academic.

"Amateur," I will remind you, means "for the love of." Or it used to.
Now it means, "doesn't get paid enough to qualify as a 'real'
participant."