Re: Looperlative - Max Time?

At 01:28 PM 1/29/2006, Kevin wrote:
>WRT Max time, two words:  "Undo",  "Redo".  The docs on the EDP make very
>plain what the memory costs are for undos.

I thought this thread was about the Looperlative? It's not clear to me
what
this has to do with the Echoplex. From what I understand, Looperlative
doesn't have an explicit Undo function now like the Echoplex. Maybe Bob
will add one someday, however Undo is a really tricky feature to implement
so that likely won't be such a simple thing to do as it sounds. But given
that Looperlative doesn't work this way now, it seems this is an
irrelevant
point to consider if you are challenging the amount of loop time available
in the Looperlative.

Even if you are considering functions like Undo in the Echoplex, you still
have to record all the audio first in order to undo back to it. And
presumably let it repeat 2-3 times, since that's the point of loops. So
you
are still looking at really long musical pieces with really long loops,
much longer than any normal song format. Practically, I just haven't seen
many people running into this limit even on the Echoplex unless they just
weren't thinking ahead and set up 10 loops in advance when they only
wanted
to use 1. You have to be making really long musical pieces for it to
matter.

>I find the "undo" capabilities of the EDP to be completely inadequate for
>what I want to do in a live looping situation.

it might be interesting to know why?

>I think I would find the same problem with the Looperlative even though I
>don't plan to preload samples. The multiple tracks on the Looperlative
>may
>help with that but to keep stuff from sounding too "loopy" I also like to
>undo and redo overdubs.
>
>Looking at a standard 32-bar AABA song format with two beats to the bar
>and each beat at 80 bpm, one track takes 64 beats/tune divided by 80 bpm
>equals 48 seconds.  466 seconds stereo time goes fast for multiply
>layered
>parts and undos.

Are you sure you understand how memory gets used in loopers? Because to
me,
if you make 48 second loops and want to do some overdubs and undos and let
it repeat a few times, 466 seconds of loop time is still way more than you
need. If you are using all that time, then you are talking about making
single pieces of music that are a minimum of 20+ minutes long, probably
much longer if you really make use of the looping functions. How long are
your songs, usually?

>When I do looping free of standard song structure, I find that my loops
>tend to be about 100 seconds after muliplying.  And I do a lot of
>undos.   This would max out the Looperlative pretty quickly from what I
>understand.

How would it max out the Looperlative? Are you sure you understand how the
Looperlative works and how it uses the loop time available?

kim