Re: stereo looper with midi?

Quoting Travis Hartnett <travishartnett@gmail.com>:

> No, it really struck me as a super-Repeater (I'm not slighting the
> LP-1, understand).

Oh, no harm, no foul: I understand that.  I just didn't want you to think
I was
jumping down your throat, either.  :)

> Making it duplicate the EDP NextLoop type functionality in a
> deep manner sounded like a bit of an uphill battle, although it
> might be possible with a sophisticated enough MIDI foot controller,
> or it might not. I'm not aware of anyone who's actually gone that
> route, so I'm not sure if it's actually possible.

Yeah, it's more a matter of setting up the buttons properly.  Keep in mind
that
the LP-1 can set up multiple functions in a row for a single button press.
Steve Lawson posted on the Looperlative board his button configuration to
do (I
think) just what you're talking about, here:

http://www.looperlative.com/060913discuss/viewtopic.php?p=1047#1047

It takes a bit to get your head around the basic concept (that a single
button
will do function A, then B, then C, then D, depending on how you program it
within the LP-1), but you mostly have to work it out in your head while
you're
programming it.  Afterward, you just use the button and don't have to
think so
much about the chain of commands it's executing.  Not to mention that, then
again, there are several functions that require a bit of thought on the EDP
too.  ;)

> The impression I got in all the initial talk was that it was
> originally conceived as a "AND type" looper, whereas the EDP is
> more of a "OR type" looper when it comes to switching between
> loops.

That's not entirely incorrect at all, and I believe that those early
discussions
were driven a lot by people just trying to understand what was going on
with
the LP-1, as well as trying to fit it within one of their pre-conceived
paradigms or "thought boxes".  I'm not surprised that you may have gotten
that
impression from those early conversations.

As I mentioned, though, it's entirely possible to approach it from either
direction: multiple streaming tracks that are muted and unmuted against
each
other, or individual tracks that are started then switch to another
track(s) in
A/B fashion as they end.

       --m.