Re: Scripting/Command Chaining in the Max/MSP Kaiser Looper

On 13 nov 2007, at 17.58, Jeff Larson wrote:
> One subtlety with Per's script that you may be missing is that it
> doesn't just pitch shift, it is doing rate shifting and overdubbing
> (or rather substituting) at the same time.

Yep, I meant this to be understood in my last post as I did write
that the background runs both up and down in pitch but also faster
and slower. And then on the second round this will be true for the
last added loop layer.

There is also another interesting aspect of this: You might as well
program the script so its UP vs Down rate shifting equals out to keep
the loop still in sync with other track's loops after the script has
finished.

> This is complicated
> because you have to apply rate shifting twice in opposite directions.
> Say for example you rate shift the loop down a 5 semitones so a C in
> the backing loop sounds like a G.  Then you overdub a B.  When you are
> combining live audio with the backing loop you need to rate shift the
> live audio *up* 5 semitones so that when you return to normal speed
> you will hear the overdub in the same harmonic relationship, in this
> case the B becomes an E.

No need to torture brain cells with hard-ass theory like that! ;-))
All you have to do is play along with live audio that sounds
musically good together with the new pitch of the background.

> This is one of several things that are difficult to do with loopers
> that aren't designed with the "tapedeck with feedback head" metaphor.

So true! This is why I love Mobius Rate Shift and Augustus Loop on Mac!

> I don't know how Kaiser looper works, but many software loopers do
> "overdubs" just by creating an autonomous parallel loop (what
> Mobius would call a track).  This has some nice properties but
> it can be hard to control all of the tracks at the same time
> to achieve something similar to what EDP/Mobius call "layers".

I've seen that in looping software and never liked it. Brrrr.... ;-/

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)