Re: Amp/P.A. Recommendation

Quoting Stephen Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net>:

> ... Many systems for the home are being marketed as 'surround
> systems' even though the satellite speakers don't pump out more than
> 20W apiece.  Ugh, I got my first 100W receiver in the 80s and never
> went back.
>
> And, yes, UK discos are frigntening for their abuse of volume.
> (Remembering that, back in the 70s, a DJ who had it too loud was
> usually derided for trying to compensate for something personal that
> was lacking.  Now?  It's a world where turning up the BPM during a
> piece is somehow accepted as a kind of dramatic effect.)
>
> </rant>

My P.A. system consists of five SRM-450's and two SWA1501 (subs).  All
my mixes are done in surround sound -- my RME800 unit does a folddown
to stereo so that I can play in situations where surround is not
available (or where I only take part of my PA system).

I am happy with the SRM-450's however I will add that I apply EQ to my
mixes to compensate for a loss of brightness.  In general, when moving
away from a speaker the high end drops off faster than the low end.
For example, a speaker may sound overly-bright from 3 feet away but
may sound just fine from 20 feet away.

One of my goals when doing my own sound is to find a way to produce
loud passages without hurting the listener's ears.  Sometimes, a
two-channel setup will blast out people seated in the speakers' hot
spots.  To spread out the sound over multiple channels helps to
prevent the "blast" effect.  (Incidentally, I play a digital organ the
sound of which is spread out over 12 main, 4 sub, and 4 room-modelling
channels.  Have never gotten any complaints about if being overly
loud, even when I crank it up!)

The SWA1501s are real sub woofers that are very even.  Some of the
cheap subs will resonate at a set frequency -- ok for car crash and
explosion sounds but kind of boomy and non-descript for music.

Incidentally, I have never gotten complaints about my setup with all
the Mackie speakers.  I don't really push them too hard, admittedly.

A few months back, I played an outdoor art fair and the provided
system used the JBL Eons.  I couldn't really hear them from my
position on the stage however they seemed to work well.
Unfortunately, the system didn't have a sub -- which deprived the
listeners of some of the lowest notes.  However, I was the only one
who knew about the missing notes.  :)     All the other acts from that
stage were mic'd acoustical instruments -- and the Eon's worked fine
for that application.

I have also played through and heard others play through the Bose PAS.
  Awesome system.  I don't use the Bose because to do surround sound
(even stereo) with them is too pricey for me.  If you can get by with
a mono mix then the Bose is an excellent system.

-- Kevin