Re: What would loopers do without power?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net>
wrote:
> So, let's say hypothetically a major catastrophe occurred in the next 2-3
> decades, and power became non-existent (unlikely) or highly scarce. For
> example, suppose we all had to rely on solar panels and wind power, and
> powering an amp and looper was a complete luxury and out of the question.
> What would you do?

I would go back to acoustic playing and form groups of like minded
people to perform each other's compositions. From what I have learned
by live-looping I can easily direct three to four people in how to
play cool looping contrapunctual stuff as an ensemble. Imagine, just
thinking in terms of "loop rate shifting" is an ultra cool composition
tool! ;-)  I was recently talking to Elliott Sharp when he played here
at STockholm New Music Festival and he told me his charts have parts
where the performers are urged to chose one out of many suggested
parts to loop at any preferred loop length. In the piece this occur
simultaneously for each player and it makes for a sort of "multi
timbral random script".

LOL!!! Once I turned to amplified playing because I was lazy
("goddammit, two more people missing for rehearsal today... better
turn on the looper and terrorize just myself to get this finished")
and now I often find that I turn to acoustic playing for the same
reason... (ooh... don't say I have to pull over and push that "ON"
button again...)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen