Re: What would loopers do without power?

Hello again,

Having already thrown one post into this highly interesting thread I
just came to think about something I forgot to mention. To me looping
is not about "technology" but rather about contrapunct and the option
to play many musical lines at the same time, improvising composition
and arrangement as you go. This is what I like with looping and
especially when using monophonic instruments like wind and reed. If
not having access to electricity I would not only play more in
ensembles, as was my first answer. I would also go back to more guitar
playing - since that is my first instrument and well polyphonic to let
you do instant multiple parts. I guess the Chapman Stick is out of the
question, being an electric instrument? Too bad, because that has been
on my wish list for decades, together with a bass clarinet. As for
number three, I would not quit air and reed playing but concentrate
more on the psychedelic aspects; like creating imaginable ("implied")
lines for contrapunct only using the tools of what you physically
play. Playing with looping machines makes it easy to explicitly play
out all those psychedelic aspects, which of course effectively kills
the magic since it makes people hear the cool stuff with their ears
and not inside their mind. So maybe a little less electricity would be
good for the music...

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)