Re: Do you actually loop with the instrument you are most proficient on? (Re: What would loopers do without power?)

> Rick said
> I had to live with a dry sound and it forced me into making  a lot of
> musical choices that I might now necessarily make.
> I think, in the long run, that it really helped my musicianship to have
> contend with this limitation (my own personal one
> as I had really grown to love my distortion and multi-effects pedal).

I need change to stay creative and inspired. Live looping techniques have
made that process a lot easier, other gear too. But every now and then,
and that’s a vicious circle, I end up in a situation with too much gear.
Last week, I thought it was about time to strip down my setup and so I
did….just 1 instrument, 1 looper and 1 foot controller, nothing synced. It
can be really refreshing: you re-discover features you were already
forgotten, you are forced to find workarounds, use other sounds. I can
recommend it! To use a cliché: “Less is more”…at least for while ;)

Cooperating with other musicians also helps me to keep things interesting.
Yesterday for example, I had an interesting discussion with a jazz
musician playing sax. I explained the concept of live looping to him and
after listening to some live recordings he was really impressed by the way
live loopers use their instruments to create music. He said it would be an
interesting idea to give some live looping classes in his jazz school just
to show other musicians there’s more than just books, chord progressions
and technical skills.

Sjaak