Re: OT Re: DISAGREEMENTS and THIS LIST was goo now Sercret Chord

----- Original Message -----
From: "andy butler"
> In UK while I was a pre-teen schoolkid for some reason the powers that
> be decided that symbolic logic (in it's guise as Set Theory) needed to
>be
> taught
> as a pre-cursor to maths.
> I don't know what the other kids made of this (or indeed the teachers)
>but
> I found it incredibly easy to draw the diagrams and get the answers,
>...it
> felt like cheating.

Leave it to the Brits to think of something as brilliant as that.  Logic,
especially set theory should by all means precede mathematics. Maybe you
can
thank your famous Bertrand Russell for that (one of my favorite
philosophers, btw, though I never had the patience to read the the three
volume mammoth work Principia Mathematica, which he wrote with Whitehead).

You have to love Russell's set theory paradox though:
"It might be assumed that, for any formal criterion, a set exists whose
members are those objects (and only those objects) that satisfy the
criterion; but this assumption is disproved by a set containing exactly
the
sets that are not members of themselves. If such a set qualifies as a
member
of itself, it would contradict its own definition as a set containing sets
that are not members of themselves. On the other hand, if such a set is
not
a member of itself, it would qualify as a member of itself by the same
definition. This contradiction is Russell's paradox"

Kris