Re: Beer Budget CD Release Strategy as an Alternative to The WayIt's Normally Done

I guess I will offer a dissenting voice here.  I am 52 years old and I
NEVER, EVER, EVER want to go back to the days of tape and vinyl.

Tape was expensive, noisy, and limited to just a few tracks.  Except
for the musical elite, no one had access to multi track recording
equipment.  About the best one could do (at least, one in my financial
situation) was to scrimp and save for an A3340S (four channel, quarter
track) and you had to run it at 15ips so that the wow and flutter
wasn't too noticeable.

I mixed with a homemade mixer because decent mixing desks cost tens of
thousands of dollars.  Balanced lines and +4dbv levels?  Forget it --
you were stuck with -10dbu (consumer) signal levels through unbalanced
lines.  Consumer equipment worked as if it was designed to capture
more noise than signal.  (When Mackie came out with the CR1604, it was
like a dream come true -- a great mixer for less than $10K).

The only way to release an album was to get signed (as a practical
matter).  And the commercial equipment (lathes and such) was designed
for half-track stereo masters -- and who had access to THAT outside of
commercial studios?  Consumer and commercial formats were NOT
compatable.

In other words, to do electronic music was a lot of work in those days
-- a labor of love that, in the end, was always compromised because of
inferior equipment.  The noisy equipment and limited tracks made a
track bounce difficult -- and any more than one generation of bouncing
was interable.  With only four channels, most tracking had to be done
in mono -- to record a stereo track tied up half the channels.

The reason that some digital recordings sound "bad" is the way they
are recorded and mixed (often over-compressed).  This has nothing to
do with the medium but rather with the skill/artistry/decisions of the
producer.  Vinyl may hide the deficiencies of such mixes and give the
illusion of better sound.

We now live in a time wherein we can choose to have "lo-fi" equipment
just for the fun of it.  However, in the not-so-distant past one had
no choice other than lo-fi.  "Lo-fi" (or tape, or vinyl) may be fun
when it is done by choice but was not fun when one wanted to make a
clean recording.

There is a part of me that wants to look back on the old days with
affection and nostalgia, however I don't.

I will take a digital recording environment over tape and vinyl any time.

-- Kevin