Re: Beer Budget CD Release Strategy as an Alternative to The Way It's Normally Done

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM,  <kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com> wrote:
> I will take a digital recording environment over tape and vinyl any time.

Me too. I recorded my first album in 1975, all tape and vinyl. Today's
technology is a lot more musician friendly IMHO. Maybe that is one
reason for the fact that so much bad sounding music is released -
musicians caring more about music than about fidelity? I'm convinced
that the resulting sound of any mechanic or digital format depends
more on the skills of the producers than on the actual format.

Some analog gear sound good because they have a certain sound bound to
their physical components, but you shouldn't confuse that with "the
sound of analog" ;-))  The sound of analog to me means a lot of hiss
covering the music and distorted transients that make instruments like
piano and marimba a rather sad story.

But I must say that I appreciate vinyl and analog hi fi systems for
listening. I love that coloring of the sound! But I would never dream
of buys such an awfully expensive system just for fun. I put my few
bucks on top performing active monitor speakers that lets me work with
sound in any room with a good acoustic environment.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com