Re: RECOMMENDATIONS for EFFECTS PROCESSING on upcoming tour

> 1) the simplest set up
> 2) the easiest learning curve
> 3)  the ability to use VST plugins in any chain I'd like to
>     a)  be in front of my LP-1 and
>     b)  be after my LP-1
> 4)  the least amount of price for the software as well (money
> is a factor)

Rick,
I recently switched to a laptop setup:
- Macbook with OSX
- Motu Ultralite firewire interface
- Logic Mainstage for soft synths, FX and mixer
- LP1
- midi controllers

The only thing I might change is the midi controller I need to play my
synths and piano. That’s a real issue because I don’t like to travel with
a 35kg stage piano ;) But other than that, it’s compact, light, flexible
and not necessarily out of your budget because you already own a Macbook
Pro. Check out this picture how everything is connected in my setup:

http://euroloopfest.com/sjaak/images/livesetup.jpg

Motu Ultralite mk3
------------------
The Motu Ultralite mk3 ($500) doesn’t look like a budget friendly solution
but I don’t agree. Why? Because it’s an all-in-one box offering you 2
mic/line inputs , 6 line inputs, 10 balanced outputs, midi in, midi out,
S/PDIF, headphone out, reverb up to 60 seconds, 7-band EQ, compressor and
a internal mixer, mix software and drivers for both Mac and Windows, FW
bus-power. What does a DI/splitter, small mixer with EQ, a 1x1 midi
interface and compressor cost you? And it’s very small. Imo, this is
perfect solution for the traveling live musician using a laptop, this box
replaces many devices.

Budget tip: try to find a used one of the model, simply called the Motu
Ultralite without the mk3 tag

Mainstage
---------
Like Per said, Mainstage ($500) can only run AU-plugins, no VST’s. But I
doubt if that’s a problem because Mainstage has many good effects and
instruments that I think it covers 80% of your needs out of the box. It
can sync well to an external midi clock, for example the LP1. It can also
host non-Apple plugins, for example SuperLooper or Augustus Loop.

I use Augustus Loop and some Logic FX as pre-looper effect and these are
routed to the LP1 inputs. You can use multiple instances of Augustus on
the same bus or different busses.

The LP1 outputs are not send back into Mainstage to apply post-FX. I
haven’t tested it but I would expect a latency issue here, which is
logical. And although I’m not going to use it, I have tested analog inputs
and processed them thru Mainstage with acceptable latency, no problem.

A feature I like about Mainstage is that you can design your own graphical
layout of your midi setu and map sliders and buttons to any midi CC
message on any channel. For example:
- LP1 volume, speed, feedback level (current track)
- Mainstage volume
- Augustus feedback level
- Patch name

Tip: you can often buy a used Logic Studio 8 license on Ebay for 50% of
the original price, 175 Eur

Bidule
------
Bidule is a good and also cheaper alternative to host both VST and AU
plugins to build your own rig. The big difference for me is that it comes
with little FX and instruments compared to Mainstage. I like the concept
of Bidule, it reminds of the Nord Modular synthesizers: you visually patch
audio and midi devices together with cables. It’s very flexible, stable,
works well.

The reason I don’t use Bidule at the moment is because I also need soft
synths so Mainstage is a better candidate for me. But if you already have
VST FX units, I would look into Bidule.

---
Sjaak
http://euroloopfest.com/