Re: looper vs storyteller. if there even is

Without getting too esoteric, I hear all music as having a story.
Instrumental music is a more loosely defined story than music with
words, and it's much more subjective, but it's there. It's why I've
always found it easy to name instrumental pieces; I just listen for a
bit and I hear the story develop, which is often both visual and
emotional, then it's just a matter of choosing the best title to
describe it, same as if I had written a novel.

In music there are conflicts, resolutions, climaxes, denouements, even
characters and plot development to my mind. I've found this to be true
even when listening to someone improvise a solo, if they know what
they're doing. Pat Metheny, Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett come to mind as
some players who are especially descriptive storytellers in improvisation.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com