Re: wanted: suggestion for loop post processor

Rainer Straschill wrote:
> Andy,
>
> you do not specify which of the items 1-10 you mention are actually
> hard requirements or if there are any other soft requirements, but...

Needs
1) two inputs can be be panned/treated separately, or together
2) filters and tremolo synced to midi clock
3) Must be ways to "stereoise" both inputs individually, with delays.
4) Output on XLRs

Much prefer
1) 1U rack mount

Likes
1) hmm, reverb can be nice
2) addition unbalanced line out for recording
3) light weight
4) light price
5) good flanger
6) a delay of 5s for additional loop texture

> Some people have suggested the FireworX: while the FireworX offers a
> lot of great options (great flexibility in routing structure,
> including the option to insert an external device into the signal
> chain via the s/pdifs, lots of modulation options, including pitch
> detection and a pattern sequencer, great digital lo-fi effects), I've
> always found that it lacks processing power seriously, given its
> richness in features. You typically max out at 3 to 4 processing
> blocks (and some of them are only available once, e.g. only one filter
> at a time), so this may limit you a lot if you want to process two
> mono inputs separately.

thanks, that's interesting, ...very useful.
Heavy processing on both channels isn't essential, but it's great to
have an idea of the limitations.

I'm fascinated that it has an fx loop, so the edps could go into
that and give me the option of pre-process as well.

I'm guessing that like the MPX1 there's a big wait when changing patches,
with no sound, is that the case?

> The fact that it only has XLR connectors is not a showstopper but
> somehow impractical.

I need XLR out.
...but would be nice to have a jack out to hook up a recording device.

> Btw, maximum delay time if I remember correctly
> is something like 2.9 seconds (mono).

right, the MPX1 has a 2 sec stereo delay which looks
like it could be configured as 4sec mono

> processing power. However it has a lot of flexibility which only a
> tiny few (read: Eventide H8000 etc.) effects processors have to offer.

right, but those Eventides are extra expensive.

> And the lo-fi/digital dirt effects are a welcome addition.

maybe, I generally avoid as always I seem to have tinnitus after hearing
digi-distortion

> Now something for the "bizarre and unsuitable" reign: enter the Clavia
> Nord Modular G2 Engine. 1HU in size, this device (which is basically
> an extremely flexible virtual modular synth) doesn't have any
> front-panel knobs or displays of any kind - so some kind of solution
> for patch change is needed - and for effects editing, you actually
> need a computer.

ahhh
well, maybe that fits exactly, ...off to check it out :-)

> Why do I recommend it anyway? Lots of processing options! Tons of
> flexibility! And you even get a free synthesizer!
> I have been using the Nord MicroModular (the previous model's tiny
> version in a small tabletop case) a lot - however that old one only
> had minimum delay capability. A great thing! Highly recommended!
> Claude Voit used to use one to pattern-sequence his EDPs.
>
>          Rainer

thanks Rainer,
and also to Bill, Luca, Per for suggestion the Fireworx,
which is still a possible.

andy