RE: Composition & Improvisation (was Re: Terje Rypdal was ECM guitarists)

I hate playing without a structure - unless there isn't an audience. I'm getting into recording my private jams of late and whilst there often are "good bits" in there, I would not be comfortable imposing that amount of essentially barren noodling on an audience. I prefer to condense my work for live performance, with some scope for improvisation. This may just be because I am not a natural improviser. It's more composition for me.

> From: mark@grubmah.com
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: Re: Composition & Improvisation (was Re: Terje Rypdal was ECM guitarists)
> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:02:17 -0700
>
> Playing without a net is what I end up doing. Sometimes it goes well.
> Sometimes I'm running on empty and I wish I had some material to fall
> back on.
>
> Mark
>
> On Aug 28, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Warren Sirota wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this sounds flip, but I'd just say, play without a net. (i
> > say this without having followed any of the previous thread that
> > spawned this)
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Mark Hamburg<mark@grubmah.com>
> > wrote:
> >> When I was last in conscious recording mode -- as opposed to, the
> >> recorder
> >> happens to be running while I'm playing -- the approach I found
> >> myself
> >> taking was to improvise until I found something I liked, then hone
> >> in on
> >> various elements of it playing the "piece" repeatedly until I had
> >> the flow
> >> down, then record it possibly doing a couple takes while doing so.
> >> Having
> >> then committed the piece to some form of recording medium, I would
> >> then
> >> proceed to let it flow back out of my brain which was fine until I
> >> found
> >> myself in a live performance situation with no material to fall
> >> back on.
> >>
> >> Mark
> >>

> > --
> > Warren
> > http://www.warrensirota.com

Add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps. Find out how.