Re: looping with albeton live

yes, i have. but only a little. i had a few problems with it.

- the first is latency. with just 4 loopers going i experienced
significant audio latency and couldn't seem to get it down to
negligible. i'm sure must be doing something wrong, but i conquered
latency issues with my sooperlooper/ableton setup and it works great.
i'm not wanting to spend a lot of time redoing my setup right now, but
i will certainly try again later.

- next, multiple loops. if you have a bunch of these things at
once...well how do you SEE them all? i couldn't figure this one out.
if you know, do tell me how to make them float on top of the Ableton
interface so i can see them all at once. maybe i'm missing some key
piece of data?

- multi function transport buttons are not my favorite. lots of room
for error when you're controlling many loopers. yes sooperlooper uses
them too, but you can also send very specific midi messages (for
example loop1 mute_off or loop1 mute_on) in addition to toggle
messages (loop 1 mute - depends on the state of the loop). i can even
have one function respond to 2 different midi messages (say, a note on
CH16 and a program change on CH9). in Ableton everything is a toggle
which does make it extremely simple, but this trips me up a lot when
I'm controlling one shot loops in Ableton. sometimes I forget if a
track is muted or not. i like to be able to fire commands that turn on
6 loops, regardless of their state, while simultaneously turning off 4
loops, regardless of their state. its true that sooperlooper is not
perfect or consistent in its midi control implementation, for example,
overdub is only accessible as a toggle in sooperlooper, as is record.
but i REALLY like the way Jesse did the sooperlooper midi bindings.
they're so flexible. it'll be hard to divorce me from that level of
control ;-) but....if Ableton were to extend the functionality of the
Looper to allow the functions to be accessed via midi separate from
the interface....that would solve it.

- last....OSC. this doesn't affect the looping functionality of either
looper. but i like that i can get OSC status messages out of
sooperlooper (record state, loop length, position, etc) and send them
to another computer that might do something with those messages. the
OSC implementation of sooperlooper is non-standard, so you need
something to translate its output...but it does work.

HOWEVER...

i have been using Ableton's looper in my recordings to recreate my
"live" looping in the studio. that's been great. it was always hard
for me to record high quality loops, and have them not be "hardcoded".