Taking VSTs out on the road

> ;-) The P1 offers powerful sound patch programming options but I
> remember I kind of missed a good sounding LFO controlled resonance
> filter.

The first generation Proteus lacked that, yes. That was due to the fact
that
the earlier samplers by E-Mu (Emulator and Emax series) all had analogue
filters (up to and including the flagship EIII), so in the first-generation
Proteus (which was based on the EIII architecture), powerful filters were
missing. (And yes, those analogue filters were the deal!)

However, the ESi-32 (basically, a "consumer" version of the EIII) had an
ASIC circuit for simulating analogue filters. These algorithms were later
enhanced, called "Z-Plane filters" and found their way into the Proteus
product line via the Morpheus and most of the followups (Ultra Proteus,
Proteus 2000, Audigy and all of their spinoffs).

Btw, if there's someone looking for an ESi-32 - I believe I still have a
fully expanded one in my basement, together with a SCSI enclosure
(HDD+CD-ROM) and some E-Mu libraries on CD-ROM...