Re: Ableton 8 Looping problems

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
I wonder if anyone measured the latency for digital hardware, much
of which doesn't have an analog dry signal.

No, I have not measured but well used digital hardware by digital outboard routing. When I had a TC Electronics Fireworx I used it by digital SPDIF send/return routing and I did not have to make any manual compensation for latency. I often adjust as short timing values as 5 milliseconds by ear so since I did not hear anything fishy the digital round trip must have taken less time than that.

Theoretically, Andy, wouldn't what you ask for equal measuring the "latency" between different lines of computer code being executed by the system? Or maybe you are thinking about "the reaction time" of specific hardware units? In my experience, from pre in-the-box days, this is the unknown factor that caused most timing issues.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com