Re: @Bill, empty loop, or looperlative/EDP trick (composition?)

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM, Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
> it would be surprising to see someone at a looping event simply
>manipulating a sequencer.

I think many loopists already use sequencing techniques in live
looping. I first learned it from David Torn on this list about seven
years ago. Back then the idea was to sequence pitch shifting of an
ElectrixPro Repeater track according to pre defined sequence patterns,
for which I was using an Alesis MMT8 sequencing box. I remember Bill
Walker used this trick at the Zürich looping festival in 2005 using
the arpeggiator of his MIDI guitar setup. At the same time I started
to apply that "Repeater track sequencing trick"  to the EDP by setting
up foot pedals to trigger sequence patterns that control EDP actions
like Speed and Substitute. Also around 2005 I found out that the
Mobius software looper allows you to sequence looper actions in
scripts and I could then migrate the whole live looping and sequencing
shebang to fit into just a laptop. For the last five years I've been
working out musically useful sequences of looper actions as Mobius
scripts. When performing with such a setup the sounding musical result
depends on what sequence the player activates and what audio he/she
feeds the looper with.

Example: If running a speed script in Overdub mode three process are
conducted at the same time: (1) melody is played on the source
instrument, (2) the loop is manipulated to sound different (3) the
loop will sound different on the next loop around, as the played
melody will become a - speed pattern shifted - layer of the loop.

--> Live Sequencing
I too think it would be cool to see/hear more of live sequencing at
live looping concerts. What I mean with "live sequencing" is that the
performer manipulates the patterns of the sequencer while it's
running, not just picks one pattern to throw at the looper. But since
we are talking live performance without pre recorded audio material
this concept definitely touches what is possible for one musician to
handle in real-time (we are not squids with three brains).

One can also do live sequencing without playing instruments as source
audio for looping, but then the target for the sequencer must be gear
like MIDI synths, mixer and effects. A software product that supports
this performance technique is Numerology for OS X. Here's an example
live sequencing improvisation I once did with Numerology and a small
FaderFox hand mixer: http://www.box.net/shared/9f6cov0qh2.  Simpler
forms of live sequencing can be seen by checking out the Tenori On on
YouTube. A guy that builds his own rigs to combine live sequencing and
looping is Tim Exile, you can search him out on YouTube for example
videos.

I think the reason not more performers use sequencing at live looping
concerts simply is that it is more fun to play an acoustic or electric
instrument as source audio for looping than to push buttons and turn
knobs. ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se