Re: Looping with a Netbook?

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Michael Peters <mp@mpeters.de> wrote:
>> saw Kim Cascone's Dell Netbook yesterday and thought, I want one too,
>for
>> looping and travelling. But would it have enough power (under Windows -
>I'm
>> a Windows user) to run Bidule and a whole bunch of plugins that are
>> occasionally almost too much for my larger Vaio? those netbooks all
>seem to
>> have 1.6GHz and an Atom processor and a friend said he thinks it would
>be
>> too weak for music purposes. Any experiences anyone?

Can't tell about the Atom processor but I recently tested my rig on a
2.7 GHz i7 processor to compare with my usual 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo.
Without the figures reading much bigger (2.7 vs 2.2) I was amazed by
how the i7 would let me load up even more plugins. I mean, the total
CPU use was just a bit lower on the i7 but it DID NOT RISE much as I
loaded plugins that would have made the Core 2 Duo choke. So without
caring to explain the technical background I would say the i7
processor gives a better headroom.

Michael, have you researched the Live Forum's thread about comparing
machines? It is the "go to" knowledge base for laptop audio
application comparisons.
"LIVE 8 PERFORMANCE TEST - Results Here"
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111880&start=0&hilit=Live+8+Performance+Test

All the best

Pboy