Re: What is looping .... was _MUSIC - "D Torn Kaisers Aars E.T." tríbute to some heroes

I tend to agree with Anders here, that it surprises me that so few
list members are utilizing sequencing techniques. This because
sequencing technique relies on the same craft in applied music theory
as a lot of the minimal art music and progressive rock by for example
King Crimson.

The Electron seems very cool to me, but I'm not sure I need all those
functions for live work. It seems to be a modern "MPC on steroids"!
Not sure I would be able to make use of all its features for live work
though. In fact, my own most successful periods in live music making
has happened when I have reduced my options to a handful gestures at
hand. The ability to perform is vulnerable to the balance between
being able to keep a flow over time in the instant composing process
and having powerful sound shaping tools.

I look at much of my live looping in Mobius as "sequencing
techniques". My "palette" is a number of optional "grids" I can apply
to a number of bars and each grid is like a sequence - but it lets
through live played source audio to be sampled into a loop (rather
than driving source audio as the synthesizer sequencing). So the
process is:

1) Chose and apply a "sequence grid" (Mobius script at hand).
2) Make some source audio on your instrument.
3) By adjust a fader for "Secondary Feedback" your control how much of
the earlier loop layers will be replaced by the new audio coming in
through the grid.

With this technique you can effectively build up machine tight
sequences in seconds from any live played audio instrument or noise.
BTW, here a simple example of this "grid sequencing live looping" in
the form of a Mobius flute improvisation:
http://soundcloud.com/pboy/going-fishing-20090524-1312

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se